Military Marines

Discussion in 'CNC Art File Sharing' started by SignTorch, 12/1/13.

1. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    • Vinyl CuttingVinyl Cutting, CNC RouterCNC Router, Designer / ArtistDesigner / Artist, Hobby / PersonalHobby / Personal
    Brands:
    • Corel DrawCorel Draw, Adobe PhotoshopAdobe Photoshop, V-Carve ProV-Carve Pro

Attached Files:

Tazzie and darrinplank like this.
  2. ipkedyormom

ipkedyormom registered

does this come in a pcm file?

3. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    • Vinyl CuttingVinyl Cutting, CNC RouterCNC Router, Designer / ArtistDesigner / Artist, Hobby / PersonalHobby / Personal
    Brands:
    no, .PCM is a plasmacam job file, which is not a standard vector clipart format

you can import the .DXF (then when you save your project it will be .PCM)

4. ipkedyormom

ipkedyormom registered

when that happens the whole things gets a little screwed up

5. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    Brands:
    I don't know what that means

if you import and convert to cut paths before scaling it to an appropriate size then that might the problem

import, then scale, then convert to cut paths

be sure that import is not set to convert to cut paths automatically

6. ipkedyormom

ipkedyormom registered

tried it you can still see the basic shape of the emblem but the inside gets kinda messed up with the circles and stuff

7. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    Brands:
    I don't know what that means

post a screenshot or save it as a DXF file and post that

it should work - it's just a DXF file - it should not change or degrade when imported

8. ipkedyormom

ipkedyormom registered

tried it you can still see the basic shape of the emblem but the inside gets kinda messed up with the circles and stuff

Attached Files:

9. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    Brands:
    let me guess - your kerf comp is about .06" and the size of that design is right at 8" square

you cannot expect to cut that detailed design 8" tall with .06 kerf - or at whatever size that is with that much kerf compensation

refer to my previous post about scaling the design (up) to an appropriate size for your machine before converting to cut paths

try scaling it up to 24" tall (before applying .06" kerf compensation)

10. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    Brands:
    what you are seeing is the cut-path which is the centerline of the cut, that's why it looks odd

the cut-path does not resemble the original clipart nor does it show what the final part will look like

if we don't scale the clipart, it is about 8" tall

a1.

if we apply .06" kerf compensation (looks odd)

a2.

at that scale the red areas won't cut, they are too narrow for that kerf

a3.

and the .06" wide centerline cuts appear too wide relative to the overall design at that size

a4.

if we scale 200% to 16" tall then there are fewer and smaller red areas that are still too narrow to cut

a5.

and the width of the centerline cuts is more appealing

a6.

so, it will cut ok at 16" tall with .06" kerf, but it'd have to be a little larger than that for .06" kerf to cut every last detail

you could edit those narrow spots to make them wider for a perfect cut at 16" tall

cutting at 8" tall with .06" kerf would not come out too good at all

even a vinyl cutter with zero kerf would struggle to cut that design much smaller than 8" tall because that amount of detail just can't easily be crammed into that small of a space (when cutting through most material that comes in a sheet) - that's not to say it can't be cut smaller (an engraver could make it less than 1" tall)

the benefit of using vector clipart is that it is infinitely scalable - so you can scale it to any size you need for any machine and any material - but the tool size and material does limit how small any given design can be cut succesfully

jennifer S and darrinplank like this.
  11. DSteel

DSteel registered

Roles:
    • Plasma CuttingPlasma Cutting, Just Getting StartedJust Getting Started
    Brands:
    • PlasmacamPlasmacam
    Is there a way to "reverse" the cutout to use it on a fire pit ring? I have 0-little experience as we are just starting up with a CNC Plasma Cam using PlasmaCam Design Edge which I have found very limiting. I do not know any other programs yet. Would it be possible to provide the same image but so that it would, for lack of better words, remain without the whole picture falling out. As the template is for a cutout and I need more of a stencil. Not sure I'm explaining very well, so let me know if you have more questions. The project I am working on is a fire pit for my friends son who has enlisted in the Marines.

12. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    Brands:
    if we reverse this design then all the interior detail linework will fall out

what you want to do is make a hole that the design fits in - and create some overlap betwen the design and the hole

one way is to select the design perimeter and offset it to the outside a small amount - that forms the hole (red part)

then add bridges (green) to hold the design (blue) in place

usmce.

darrinplank and ynotnow817 like this.
  13. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    Brands:
    then join it all together

usmce2.

14. Kchoghead

Kchoghead member

I cut this out at 15 inches and it cut perfectly...Thanks Gary!!!!

15. zhillian

zhillian registered

Thanks for the file and all of the instructional help as well. Can't wait to try it.

16. A Amend

A Amend member

I've cut this emblem a number of times using our laser (.010 kerf) and had 0 issues. I used about a 9.25 inch circle to to hold the emblem in the piece I was cutting. Overlaps at the wing tips and the anchor point hold it secure.

darrinplank likes this.
  17. A Amend

A Amend member