Ready To Cut CNC Art

Military Marines

SignTorch

Artist
marines~.gifmarines~.png

Attachments

when that happens the whole things gets a little screwed up

I don't know what that means

if you import and convert to cut paths before scaling it to an appropriate size then that might the problem

import, then scale, then convert to cut paths

be sure that import is not set to convert to cut paths automatically

tried it you can still see the basic shape of the emblem but the inside gets kinda messed up with the circles and stuff

I don't know what that means

post a screenshot or save it as a DXF file and post that

it should work - it's just a DXF file - it should not change or degrade when imported

tried it you can still see the basic shape of the emblem but the inside gets kinda messed up with the circles and stuff
Screenshot (16).jpg

let me guess - your kerf comp is about .06" and the size of that design is right at 8" square

you cannot expect to cut that detailed design 8" tall with .06 kerf - or at whatever size that is with that much kerf compensation

refer to my previous post about scaling the design (up) to an appropriate size for your machine before converting to cut paths

try scaling it up to 24" tall (before applying .06" kerf compensation)

what you are seeing is the cut-path which is the centerline of the cut, that's why it looks odd

the cut-path does not resemble the original clipart nor does it show what the final part will look like

if we don't scale the clipart, it is about 8" tall

a1.jpg

if we apply .06" kerf compensation (looks odd)

a2.jpg

at that scale the red areas won't cut, they are too narrow for that kerf

a3.jpg

and the .06" wide centerline cuts appear too wide relative to the overall design at that size

a4.jpg

if we scale 200% to 16" tall then there are fewer and smaller red areas that are still too narrow to cut

a5.jpg

and the width of the centerline cuts is more appealing

a6.jpg

so, it will cut ok at 16" tall with .06" kerf, but it'd have to be a little larger than that for .06" kerf to cut every last detail

you could edit those narrow spots to make them wider for a perfect cut at 16" tall

cutting at 8" tall with .06" kerf would not come out too good at all

even a vinyl cutter with zero kerf would struggle to cut that design much smaller than 8" tall because that amount of detail just can't easily be crammed into that small of a space (when cutting through most material that comes in a sheet) - that's not to say it can't be cut smaller (an engraver could make it less than 1" tall)

the benefit of using vector clipart is that it is infinitely scalable - so you can scale it to any size you need for any machine and any material - but the tool size and material does limit how small any given design can be cut succesfully

Is there a way to "reverse" the cutout to use it on a fire pit ring? I have 0-little experience as we are just starting up with a CNC Plasma Cam using PlasmaCam Design Edge which I have found very limiting. I do not know any other programs yet. Would it be possible to provide the same image but so that it would, for lack of better words, remain without the whole picture falling out. As the template is for a cutout and I need more of a stencil. Not sure I'm explaining very well, so let me know if you have more questions. The project I am working on is a fire pit for my friends son who has enlisted in the Marines.

if we reverse this design then all the interior detail linework will fall out

what you want to do is make a hole that the design fits in - and create some overlap betwen the design and the hole

one way is to select the design perimeter and offset it to the outside a small amount - that forms the hole (red part)

then add bridges (green) to hold the design (blue) in place

usmce.jpg

I've cut this emblem a number of times using our laser (.010 kerf) and had 0 issues. I used about a 9.25 inch circle to to hold the emblem in the piece I was cutting. Overlaps at the wing tips and the anchor point hold it secure.

Back
Top Bottom