How can I reduce the amount of points

Discussion in 'Tech Support - SignTorch' started by anonymous, 11/28/15.

1. anonymous

anonymous incognito

how do I reduce the amount of points the sign torch files have?

The drawing lines have many many data points. And each shape takes up a lot of space.

If I draw a line in auto cad, there are three points, one on each end and one in the middle. If I draw a spline in an arc ,there are only as many as I click. For a circle, 4 points.

How can I reduce the amount of points and still be able to cut the shape on my cnc plasma and still have a smooth cut?

2. SignTorch

SignTorch Artist

Roles:
    • Vinyl CuttingVinyl Cutting, CNC RouterCNC Router, Designer / ArtistDesigner / Artist, Hobby / PersonalHobby / Personal
    Brands:
    • Corel DrawCorel Draw, Adobe PhotoshopAdobe Photoshop, V-Carve ProV-Carve Pro
    SignTorch DXF files have smooth (tangent) arcs - in continuous polylines - and not too many - so it would be hard to improve how they are drawn

since the arcs are tangent - each point is perfectly smooth - a cnc can maintain constant speed when arcs are tangent

for the record: a line has 2 points - autocad grab handles are not points

when autocad displays an arc, it displays a grab handle at each end and one in the middle (same as a line)

so it displays twice as many grab handles as there are points - when a polyline with arcs is selected - there is one point between each arc (or line segment) - so the number of points equals the number of arcs and segments - and open paths have one additional endpoint

for example:
    the 1st image is autocad displaying 2 grab handles for each point
    the 2nd image is corel draw displaying one node for each point

if you see more points or different points - or excess points - or points that are not smooth - then I don't know what happened - but that would not be a Signtorch file in it's original condition -

also: in autocad, at least some versions - VIEWRES defaults to a low value and arcs display as polygons (as in the 3rd image)

solution: run the viewres command and set it to 200 or so (4th image)

by and large, SignTorch files are very smooth with a nearly optimal number of points - I doubt it's possible or beneficial to reduce the points

d1. r2.

d3. d4.